February 10, 2010

 

Catch 22


When I moved home without a job I knew I was probably going to have a lot of time where I wasn't really doing anything productive.

I planned to spend this time writing songs, designing stuff, drawing cartoons, maybe exercising, practicing banjo. You know, pie-in-the-sky new year's resolution type things.

Well, not to burst anyone's bubble of how productive a human being I am, but I haven't done that well in some of those aspects. (I KNOW RIGHT, BIG SURPRISE GUYZ).

I really thought I would write a ton of blog posts about my job search and all kinds of insightful essays that would shed light on the ridiculous peccadilloes of the human condition. Sorry about that.

I guess I used to come up with things to write when I was bored at work and had no other mental escape. Now that I can just go downstairs and turn on Iron Chef when I get bored, it's more of a challenge to finish anything. For example, I've written portions of many blog posts in the last month (e.g. "Why I hate Family Guy" "Chase gives advice to made-up questions") but never got around to finishing them. OH WELL.

I have made a six month plan for myself though:

1. Get a job (any job, besides call centers or prostitution {basically the same thing})

2. Use my tax return to buy a silk screen press

3. Learn to use the press to make t-shirts/other printed materials

4. Sell t-shirts at farmer's markets or whatever

5. Take web development classes at DATC (HA HA HA WHAT HAS MY LIFE COME TO?)

6. Grow my hair as long as possible

So, basically college was just a long and costly excuse to decide that I really like to do things that I didn' study in college. I had an interview for a tech writing position a few weeks ago and I swear the guy could sense that deep down I hated tech writing, and therefore he didn't hire me. Either that, or I'm just caught in the old "need experience for a job/need a job for experience" catch 22 that people in their twenties get stuck in. HOORAY FOR COLLEGE EDUCATED GAS STATION ATTENDANTS!

Labels:


Comments:
Like you, Matt and I can't figure out how low of entry level jobs you need to go in order to be worthy of "getting experience without having any experience" jobs. The pit seems to be bottomless...
 
I just had to google the word "peccadilloes".

Don't grow your hair out.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]