October 8, 2009

 

how I spent my october vacation

So, I went to Austin with my Dad for the music festival; that is a real-life thing that happened.

Here is a summary of these events. I'll probably break it into a few posts, cuz hey, I don't want to write some super really long thing right now.

Day 1:

On Thursday we flew to Austin. I don't want to make it look like I'm one of those people who complain about the privilege of flying around in a plane and going to some super rad multi-day concert, but the flight(s) there really sucked--thanks for nothing guy in front of me! My knee still hurts from your sudden and ultra violent shifting of your seat into the reclined position. I hope your Werther's Original Candies taste really good and take your mind off the cold, slow creep towards death, old man.

We ate at the Whataburger right across the street from our hotel when we got there and I have to say my reaction was more like, "whatanaverageburger!" LOL. They do have cheap breakfast food though (biscuits and gravy for $1.50!).



After that we decided to walk around a bit and it turns out that we were about a block away from the bat bridge. (I guess it's this bridge? That bats live in? And they fly around sometimes?) Anyway, here is a picture of the bridge that bats live in. You can't see the bats though. Sorry.



The next day was the beginning of ACL 2009, so now the pictures will be of bands! First, we saw a band called Leatherbag, which is kind of a gross name, but hey, they were decent. Really decent!



And then we saw The Low Anthem, and wow, they all played several different instruments! But they were kind of too soft and slow/gentle for a big music festival like this. Still very decent though!



Then, we saw Blitzen Trapper, and boy oh boy! They were the Blitzen Trapperiest! Very good!



I think The Avett Brothers are probably the best live band ever, so I really liked seeing them play for the third(3) time. Here is the crowd behind me enjoying the show:



And here are the brothers themselves:



Later we saw Daniel Johnston, which I was kind of nervous about since he is sort of a mentally unstable guy and I was a little worried I was just wanting to see him as sort of a side-show act or something, but not really because I really love his songs.

The first thing he did when he got to the microphone was throw up a one armed salute and yell "Heil Hitler" really loud. That drew an audible gasp from the crowd and we were all wondering if he was off his meds or what, but then he sang some songs with his new band, he was decent! Fairly decent considering all the things he's been through in his life. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you should watch the documentary about him called The Devil and Daniel Johnston. You can borrow it from me if you want.)



That was pretty much the first day.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]