January 6, 2009

 

I will judge you based on your political bumper stickers

I try to stay away from posting anything political on here, not because I'm afraid of offending anyone, but because I just don't want to have to explain myself. The problem with studying political science is that since you become accustomed to taking a macro view of every issue or institution, you are immediately suspicious of anyone who is ready to identify themselves as a "hardcore" anything.

As soon as I know someone is an avid Republican or Democrat, I can pretty much guarantee that they will have nothing interesting (to me) to say about politics. I already know their basic views on most issues and I can then predictably chart the path that the conversation will take.

This is also the problem I have with political bumper stickers. If you want to be reduced to a walking (or more specifically, driving) stereotype, go ahead and plaster political bumper stickers all over your car. It actually makes things easier for me. For example, look at this truck:



All he needs is a sticker that says, "I pretend that my racist and xenophobic beliefs are actually political viewpoints" or maybe, "If I had a chance I would shoot an Arab in the head with a huge gun and not feel bad about it."

Unfortunately, it's not just right wing nut jobs that do this. Check out this Prius:



This guy might as well put one on there that says, "I have a bag of weed in my glove box" or "Even my poop is carbon neutral."

My point is: don't do this. I could go on about other terrible car stickers (peeing Calvin, among others) but I think you get the point.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Dude, I totally have a similar post to this on my blog. I was really, really upset with myself when I realized just how cliche it was to drive a Subaru Outback and have an Obama 08 sticker plastered to the back of it.

By the way, just a thought that came to my head...have you ever seen a Prius with a McCain sticker? Or a ghetto, old pickup with an anti-guns sticker? That would be kind of cool.
 
P.S. I don't know what the dude who owns that Prius is trying to prove. Every time I see a Prius, I automatically assume the driver hates W., loves equality, believes in evolution and worships Al Gore. These stickers are completely unnecessary. Priuses are so gay.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]