December 18, 2008

 

Some music to listen to while our global economy slowly crumbles

I'm ready to get through all these end of year album shenanigans so I can move on to posts that people will enjoy. Here are numbers 5-10. Take notes because I will not repeat myself.




5. Blitzen Trapper: Furr

I really like Blitzen Trapper's first album even though it was a wildly uneven romp through three or four desperate genres (folk, messy indie-rock, country ballads, backwoods vamping...) but with Furr, they have managed to craft a slightly more cohesive whole; their country inflected rock now comes with clever metaphors for coming of age (the title track) and 54% less cartoon-like southern accents.


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com







4. The Avett Brothers: The Gleam EP (parts I & II)

Some of you know that I am a huge fan of the North Carolina-based Avett Brothers, and it's probably a given that I was going to put them on the list, especially when they release two EP's that add up to one of their finest full length efforts to date. The Avetts have two volumes: very loud, and very quiet, and these songs fall on the very quiet side. Have a listen and cry:


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com






3. The Tallest Man on Earth: Shallow Grave


The Tallest Man on Earth is a Swedish guy who sounds vaguely like Bob Dylan and has a firm grasp of how to finger pick the hell out of a guitar (or banjo). I'm amazed at the depth of his songwriting. CHECK IT:


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com





2. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago

It seems like this CD came out last year (it might have only been released officially in 2008) but it has been a huge part of my rotation since then. As the story goes, Justin Vernon absconded himself to a wintry cabin in Wisconsin and emerged months later with this album. Heartbreaking and intimate, Emma continually defies any attemps I make at labeling it.


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com





1. Crystal Castles: S/T

I came to the conclusion that this was my favorite album of the year based on the amount of time I spent listening to it. Seriously, itunes tells me that I've listened to every single track an astonishing amount of times. Take my word for it, even if you don't really like electronic music (which I don't), you will love this album.

Crystal Castles are a male female duo that produce some extraordinarily intense music with the help of some deft vocal sampling and the unrestrained insanity of the female vocalist Alice Glass (who is at once terrifyingly repulsive and incredibly attractive):



I'll include two tracks from these guys so as to highlight their sheer amazingness. TAKE THIS:


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Labels:


Comments:
"If It's The Beaches" on the red Gleam album makes me cry a little every time I listen to it.

And Bon Iver's "Skinny Love"? Probably one of my favorite songs EVER. I'm not sure I understand all the words but I sure sing along like I do.
 
chase! i might need to take a listen to some of the bands.. i like #4 especially!
 
Thanks for the intro.
 
Wow. Couldn't have written this list better myself.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]