December 30, 2008

 

The Poptometrist: The Greatest Songs About Utah, Ever

I have to admit that there have been very few (famous or good) songs written about Utah, and this is probably for the best. However, I was wracking my noggin the other day trying to think of songs about Utah and here is my list:


1. Salt Lake City: The Beach Boys

I used to think this song was some sound-alike beach boys group because, honestly, why would they write a song about Salt Lake? Still, it's catchy and showcases the beach boys in their later, just-about-to-turn-into-total-hacks phase. My favorite part is where they talk about Lagoon. Did the Beach Boys ever name drop your hometown in a song? Didn't think so.



2. The Beehive State: Randy Newman
"Well, we got to irrigate our deserts
So we can get some things to grow
And we got to tell this country about Utah
`Cause nobody seems to know"

I can't say I really understand the point of this song, (and I can't find any recordings of it by Newman himself) but the lyrics kind of sum up how I feel about my home state; Utah is forever burdened by a disastrous national image, always the butt of polygamy jokes, and always pathetically yearning for some positive blip of national recognition. Thanks for doing your part Randy.


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com



3. Utah: The Osmonds

Yeah, the Osmonds had to show up here somewhere right? Anyways, "Utah" is a cheesetastic little country-rock number about good friends, good times, and Utah! Feel it!



4. Honk+Wave: Limbeck

This song is only tangentially related to Utah, but it does talk about driving down I-15 in the Beehive state so I'll include it.


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com





That's about it. In my search for these songs I did come across the worst combination of music, video images, and words I have ever encountered. Take a gander below if you aren't the type to vomit easily.

Labels:


Comments:
Do you think the Band of Horses song "Great Salt Lake" is about Utah?
 
Robbie, I was going to put in on here but I listened to the words and I think they use the salt lake strictly as a metaphor, so I left it off. Still a cool song though.
 
Are you actually from Lagoon? Or does the song talk about Farmington?
 
Lagoon=Farmington
 
Wow. I can't believe I watched all 3 minutes and 21 seconds of that last video. That is probably the worst Weird Al knock-off ever...in fact, he makes Weird Al look not gay. It is of the same quality as the music videos I used to make with my neighbors when I was 11. The difference is it took us 15 minutes to make a video of us lip-syncing some Led Zeppelin song, while these dudes took the time to write a song AND spend hours upon hours driving all over the state. In reality, I am just jealous that I didn't think of it first.
 
this is coming out of left field but I had a dream that I called POM POM last night for a little midnight snack delivery and when I woke up not only was I hungry I was a dissappointed as hell
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]