November 12, 2008

 

We are The New Main Street Singers


As some of you know, my roommate Dan and I have a little recording project (and occasional live act) called State College.

State College started about three years ago when we started playing music and writing songs with our friend and fellow roommate Robbie (the early songs are unspeakably bad, by the way). Fortunately for him, Robbie moved on to bigger and better things (marriage, children) but Dan and I continued playing because we have nothing better to do.

Recently we've been playing with a keyboardist and vocalist named Natalie, and we have some big plans for the immediate future such as: more live shows, recording new songs, rerecording old stuff, road trips to Idaho, buying expensive audio equipment, etc.

The problem is that we need a new band name.

"State College" doesn't sound like anything to me anymore, but one of my friends commented that it sounds like a name that some frat dudes would use if they were really into Dave Matthews Band at the time. Plus, with our new member, we don't really sound the same and we need a name more evocative of our sound (indie-folk? alt-country-pop?).

We have a few candidates so far, but no clear winner. Here are a few examples:

Bandolier-I like this one, but Natalie dislikes the fact that it contains the word, "band." Touche.

The Baltic States-Natalie likes this one, but I dislike the fact that it contains the word "state."

Brother Green-No one really has anything to say about this one.

The Old Ephraim Singers-This one I like because it has something to do with local lore, and I like the "singers" ending because it's like the old time folk groups like The Almanac Singers.

In short, we want something vaguely folky, but not too on the nose. I wish all the good bird names hadn't been taken because they are pretty awesome (The Jayhawks, The Cardinals, etc.).

If you are so inclined, vote for one on the right or suggest something in the comments.

Labels:


Comments:
Naming a band is hard! I remember coming up with State College was unusually difficult. Good luck! I voted for the Old Ephriam Singers...but don't really like it. I can't see it on a concert poster. Maybe the jolly green giants or the shizzy beatles. Let me know when you post a new song or have a show scheduled. I may not be in the band anymore...but I'd like to still come watch.
 
I like the shizzy beatles. It's catchy.
 
What about Brother Ephraim, or Old Brother Ephraim?
 
I always wanted to name my band Spanish Fury (after something I learned in history class)...unfortunately I was never part of a band, although I was a member of the Salt Lake Childrens' Choir. Cool, no? I say you name your band "Office Party" and play in the dorms every Thursday...that is if you are trying to get as many college girls there as you can.
 
I like the Bandoliers because as one word you don't really think of the singular word band in it. Also I think of old men or church when I read the other three. I think it s catchy and will have people wondering what its supposed to mean
 
have you given "the pecan sandies" or "chemical toilet" any thought?
 
I can only think of names for metal bands. So if you are willing to change your sound accordingly, you may use any of the following.

The Deathbriners
Bloody Flux
Slay Thy Neighbor
Skulldiggery
Derek and the Dominators
 
Swallow: The Band. (Chris' idea)

Fistful of (insert your choice): Brooke's idea
 
I vote for Bandolier. I think including the word "band" in the name is actually pretty original. When I think of other bands with "band" in their names I can only think of awesome ones: Band of Horses, Steve Miller Band, Little River Band, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...you see? Only awesomeness ensues.
Also, will you please remix "Potato's in the Paddy Wagon" and play it at the next folk festival?
 
K.C. and the Sunshine Band!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]