November 30, 2008

 

8. Girl Talk: Feed the Animals


Girl Talk is a dude named Greg Gillis who makes what you could call "mash-up" music, but instead of taking two songs and combining them, he takes a more wide-screen view of pop music and crafts epic, 40 minute dance tracks consisting of samples from hundreds of different songs. There are different tracks on the CD, but for practical purposes the disc is a continual mix consisting of 10-15 second selections of various artifacts from the pop universe, each one becoming either hilarious or awesome (or both) due to the extreme re-contextualization Gillis applies. I could go on about how I think Girl Talk is music's answer to Andy Warhol, but I must impress on you that this music is insanely fun to listen to. I put this on in my headphones at work when I need to get stuff done and you can probably hear my foot tapping three cubicles over. Check out this track where he matches up Metallica and Lil' Mama in a way that is somehow more awesome than I would have imagined.


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Labels:


Comments:
Crazy band name, but some great mash ups.
 
what? did he really just combine metallica, the beastie boys, and the carpenters?
 
You should check out DJ Paul V's Smashmixes:

www.thesmashmix.com

I'm totally addicted to his stuff. It's very similar in idea to Girl Talk, and he actually uses Girl Talk in some of his mixes.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]