September 26, 2008

 

Office Backlash


Let me make myself clear: I like "The Office." I really do.

BUT, I am beginning to feel like I've missed something about the show because apparently it is the greatest show in the history of recorded time and all eternity. Seriously guys, an "Office Party" for every episode? Also, for the last two weeks I was privileged enough to have heard nothing but excited office chatter from schoolmates, "Holy crap! The Office is coming back on!!!! I'm making nachos!"

Maybe the reason I don't understand the depth of "Office" fanaticism is because I am a man. I'm not saying that The Office is a show made for women, or even that there aren't male fanatics of the show, but almost all of the most ardent fans I've met are girls and all of them absolutely love the show with the passion of one thousand suns. Here is why: The Office is a cleverly designed soap opera/sitcom hybrid, but it's subtle enough that you can ignore the part that bores you. Girls love watching Jim and Pam struggle to finally reach relationship nirvana and guys like it when Creed says weird stuff.

I know I'm generalizing here, but honestly how many girls would be extremely upset and possibly cry if Jim and Pam suddenly left the show? All of them? For me, the Jim/Pam storyline is kind of getting stale anyways now that they're together, so all the writers can do is throw vague obstacles in their path to avoid a Sam/Dianne (Cheers) situation. Did you see that there is already a potential rival suitor in the mix (that chubby college kid who drew the professor)?

Also, the greatest aspect of the show, and what makes it truly funny/devastating is the existential angst of the characters, but whenever they make a show that kicks the misery up a few notches (the "Dinner Party" episode from last season) it seems like everyone deems it "too dark." I would prefer dark, harrowing episodes like the one where Pam and Jim stay at Dwight's bed and breakfast (if you remember, Dwight kept them up with his haunting cries of anguish) rather than the ridiculous "Michael acts like a wacky insane person" episodes like when he drives into the lake or holds the pizza guy ransom.

Summary: The Office is very funny, but not the funniest sitcom of all time (Arrested Development"), or even the funniest sitcom currently airing ("It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" or even "30 Rock"?). Girls, if you want to watch a soap opera, there's always Grey's Anatomy.

Labels:


Comments:
Word up C-slice.

I just felt like saying that since I don't know you at all and I'm awkward like that.

30 Rock = best
The Office = maybe if Tina Fey ever dies will have a chance.

I like it too. I watch it. But I also decided to eat cookies halfway through the premier and missed 25 minutes. Great loss? No.
 
I've haven't brought up this topic with anyone in fear of being bludgeoned to death.

I don't particularly enjoy the show and haven't seen an episode of the last 2 seasons. Granted, I haven't turned on my TV in the last 6 months or so (does this make me un-American?)
 
I think I would agree with you on most points minus the part where you say girls only watch it for Jim/Pam action...but we discussed this already. I was actually going to blog yesterday about how annoyed I was after hearing at least 6 conversations about The Office while walking across campus after school. And I only heard 6 conversations, therefore, every single conversation. Then I figured that blogging about it would only perpetuate the talk. Because of this I also refused to watch last night's episode. Though let's be honest, I will eventually watch it...
I don't know why people have to be so cult-y about things. It only makes me hate them (the things, not the people) (sometimes the people too).
 
Here-here! I second all of which was said according to The Office, and I 3rd what has been said about hating culters and the things they cultivate.
 
Way to start a revolution Chase. You know that I am against all of those sappy girls and their Jim and Pam obsessions. I will admit though that I do love the rest of the show.

P.S. You should post something positive on your blog sometime. Maybe something that you like about people.
 
I'm in total agreement with you on "Arrested Development" as funniest sitcom of all time. I don't know why there are still people who are dedicated watchers of "The Office" but haven't seen AD. And some of these are quality people with otherwise good taste. People! I'll never understand them.
 
i love the office. but it is definitely not the best show ever (in my opinion at least).

ps - i miss you chase!

pps - i agree with chris, you should post something you like about people on here.. :)
 
I am totally 100% with you on this one. I like and watch The Office most weeks, but whenver people ask me if I like it, I tell them yes, but that I don't think it is the greatest thing in the world. To me personally, The Office may be the third best show on NBC Thursday night (after 30 Rock and My Name is Earl).
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]