September 2, 2008

 

I will judge you based on your taste in music


The title pretty much says it all. I have given up trying to stop judging people based on their musical preferences. It's not going to happen. I will judge you. I will judge you HARD.

I know this makes me look like a pretentious douche, but I can't do anything about it. If you absolutely love Daughtry, I judge you. If you can't get enough Hinder, I judge you quickly and harshly.

In my experience, people that have "bad" (I realize this is totally subjective)taste in music either don't actually like music, (in which case they will still listen to the same 15 CD's they bought in High School and nothing else) or they just haven't cared to broaden their musical horizons. Either way, I find it hard to not form some sort of preconception about their personality based on their terrible, terrible music selection. Sorry.

Remember that time I said that I didn't think less of you due to your undying devotion to The Gin Blossoms? I was lying.

NOTE: My friend Amber likes Nickelback and Hinder, but I was able to overcome the initial judgement. Congrats Amber, you're cool in my book!

Labels: ,


Comments:
This is why being your friend scares me.

Did you know I have tickets to the Celine Dion concert in November. Do ahead, judge me. I'd like to see you revoke our 8 year friendship because I enjoy listening to "It's All Coming Back to Me Now".

You may be able to overcome your judgement about your friend but sadly, I can't do the same.......just kidding! Do I have really have room to judge? I just admitted I like Celine Dion.
 
Judging people is one of our favorite pasttimes.
 
i'm so glad i made it past your bar for friendship despite my horrid taste in music! lucky for you, i'm not so much of a fan of either anymore. my tastes have changed. matured if you will. although they will forever be a part of me..
 
You know what...I really do want to call you a pretentious douche...but I can't...because I feel the same. I don't understand the appeal of Nickelback. (pretentious douche)
 
Dude, remember Seven Mary Three?
 
"Itching Ears": They say that people and whales are the only mammals that change songs continually...so I understand your tongue in cheek comments about looking for new stuff and moving on...but consider the concept of peeling back the layers of musical masterpieces; some music HAS layers and the rest spawned the phrase one hit wonder. The good news is that people all know brilliance when they see/hear it so the lesson is to find the good stuff (without biasing by genres) and then listen to it over and over until the hidden treasure of knowlege come out of the canvas or speakers...maybe why people still keep looking at the lady with the funny smile? Chasing brilliance and musical innovation is habit forming, but the only musical genre with 100 mph innovation is jazz. Covering a song is with fidelity is good but covering a symphony (ie conducting Motzart) to reveal what people never found for a century is as good as it gets?...Maybe not as Billy Joel/Benny Goodman went from pop to classical and eventully jazz musician when they grew up? Musical boulder hopping or drilling down when you hit hit massive ore bodies are both movement around rocks, just on different axis. TDT
 
Hi. This is Scott Hadley's friend Marion. I believe you have nailed it. I idolize you.

Also, I just wanted to say that Scott Hadley tried to pass of your whole "people who like bad music just don't really like music" theory as his own. I knew he wasn't that clever. And yes, he even used Nickelback for his example.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]