August 11, 2007

 

Marriage, or The Death of Autonomy





I went to my friend Robbie's wedding the other day:




It was nice, and I think he and his wife will do very well together. Earlier this summer a few more friends of mine took the plunge as well, and I am equally happy for them. All these weddings lately have made me naturally think about my own life and how it would change if I were, in fact married.

(I know this seems unlikely at the moment but I take solace in the fact that people much uglier, and much less interesting than I have successfully gotten married. [Not my friends that just got married, though. They are usually better looking and more interesting])

For example, today I got up at a late hour and (since all my close friends were either out of town or with their girlfriends) spent several hours in bed reading. Then I went to Borders for a long time and looked at more books, and searched fruitlessly for a new CD. Afterwards I went to the grocery store, and then read for several more hours, watched a movie, listened to This American Life, and tried to organize my digital music collection. Now I am typing this post. The only thing that could reasonably be called productive about my day is the grocery shopping, and that was only due to an extreme and incurable biological need to eat everyday.

This is not the Saturday of a married person, I imagine. If I were married I assume that I would need to get up much earlier, do more cleaning, pay more bills, spend less money on books and music. These are all probably positive things, but it fills me with unspeakable terror to think about it. People who are married tell me that being married is just "so much better" and so "worth it." I guess I will remain unconvinced until I meet the right person, someone who would change my whole set of priorities, so giving up lazy idle Saturdays would not be a sacrifice, but just part of life.

Didn't mean to get too heavy there.

Here are some fortunate things that have happened lately:

-I found my long lost "Jew's harp" this week. I can spend literally minutes having fun with that thing. I'll have to find a way to feature it in a song.

-I discovered that Vanilla Coke Zero is the best tasting diet cola there is. (I was not paid by Coca-Cola to say this, I just really like it.)

One unfortunate thing:

I drew an unflattering caricature of a co-worker, and somehow it got back to him and he was understandably offended and I got in trouble (kind of). In my defense, my drawing skill is not to the point where I can drawing a recognizable face without exaggerating some attribute. This means that if you have a big nose, sorry buddy I'll have to draw a really big nose on there so it looks like you. No offense dude, you just have a large nose.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I still don't see anything positive about a Jew's harp. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be anti-semitic, but the sound is awful and it could easily be made with many household items.

Tus dibujos son muy malcriados.
 
i like the pictures you chose. i especially like how my wife looks in them. you really ought to try marriage. it's a great thing, it's true.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]