July 26, 2007

 

The Listening Rock


Most of my "spare" money goes either to the purchase of musical recordings, instruments, or listening devices. Pull up a rock and get ready to hear about some things I've been listening to:

Ryan Adams--Jacksonville City Nights: Earnest country with a dose of symphonic swirls. Not as hook-laden as Heartbreaker and a little long, but still satisfying.

Blitzen Trapper--Wild Mountain Nation: This is a great record. Imagine a drunken Hill-Billy string band mixed with sunny indie-pop. It's eclectic and sprawling, but still focused enough to warrant repeat listens.

OKX--OK Computer Tribute Album: Apparently it has been ten years since the release of of OK Computer and StereoGum put together a free(!) tribute album. Some of the tracks like Electioneering by Cold War Kids add nothing and should not exist, but John Vanderslice's take on Karma Police won't leave my head.

Uncle Tupelo--No Depression: I initially hesitated getting this since I am an immense and very nerdy Wilco fan. I thought somehow that listening to Jeff Tweedy's early songs would somehow taint the way I look at his newer catalogue. I was wrong, this stuff is good, and it belongs more to Jay Farrar than to Tweedy. Punk in attitude but country in content.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]